Homes can take a bad hit during the winter, particularly after this year’s harsh winter. Seasonal damage to a home isn’t always easily visible, but if it’s not repaired, spring and summer storms can add to the problems, says Paul Sullivan, National Association of Home Builder’s Remodelers chair.
NAHB provides home owners with the following 10 tips for preparing a home for the warmer months ahead:
1. Inspect the roof. Roofs should be checked for any loose, warped, or missing shingles. Also, home owners should check the chimney flashing and skylight seals are intact.
2. Clean and repair gutters. Home owners should clear winter storm debris from gutters and downspouts. Also, they should doublecheck that they are still securely attached to the house. Blocked or loose gutters can allow water to seep into your home and damage the trim, according to NAHB.
3. Check for any leaks. The most common culprits for “hidden” leaks: Attics, crawl spaces, and washing machine hoses. Also, look under sinks for damage from frozen pipes, and check your water heater for signs of corrosion.
4. Clear exterior drains. Remove any leaves from underground or exterior drains to prevent any backups from rain and storms.
5. Inspect siding. Inspect siding for pieces that may have come loose during winter storms.
6. Check window and door seals. Examine the exterior caulking on door and window seals to ensure it remains watertight.
7. Patch cracks. Patch cracks in concrete driveways, sidewalks, and steps to keep water out and prevent further expansion.
8. Paint the exterior. This is a good time to paint or touch up the paint on the exterior to help protect it from the weather.
9. Inspect the HVAC. Hire a qualified technician to service the home’s HVAC system to make sure it is running properly. Also, this is a good time for home owners to replace their HVAC filters.
10. Check the home’s grading. Ensure the grading of the yard slopes away from the home’s foundation to keep excess moisture at bay.
Mark & Julie were a pleasure to work with in every aspect of a decision in getting our properties evaluated, listed and Sold. Very knowledgeable of the real-estate business and supportive in helping us to meet our end goals. I would highly recommend Mark and Julie Jones and Robert Jones Realty, Inc.Stephen & Lana Olsen
Thank you to Mark and his staff! They did a great job of selling our Lot and we are very happy with the service they provided! Mark was very informative and a true professional!!Fernando & Carrie
Marks make the process FUN! Kumbaya!Connie Bell
Mark & Julie were absolutely amazing. They took the time to really help us look for what we wanted and helped us stay patient until we found "the one"! We could not love our home anymore, it's everything and more that we wanted and we owe it all to them!!! We highly recommend them to everyone! Thank you for your time and all of your help along the way you guys!!Sam & Kelbie Ross
Mark & Julie were easy to work with & explained everything so we could understand. Would use the again!
THANKS SO MUCHBill & Lisa Colwell
This was the 3rd home we purchased in the last 10 years working with Mark. We would not consider working with another Realtor. We trust Mark unconditionally. He and Julie patiently showed us dozens of homes before we found the one we wanted. Mark also went beyond what he needed to do in helping us in the sale and closing of our previous home to our son. It has been an absolute pleasure working with Mark & JulieDon & Connie Johnson
Awesomeness!!Ben & Pam Pena
We were very impressed with your integrity, experience, knowledge and follow through.
Thanks Mark & Julie JonesSteve & Lana Olsen