Homes can take a bad hit during the winter, particularly after this year’s harsh winter. Seasonal damage to a home isn’t always easily visible, but if it’s not repaired, spring and summer storms can add to the problems, says Paul Sullivan, National Association of Home Builder’s Remodelers chair.
NAHB provides home owners with the following 10 tips for preparing a home for the warmer months ahead:
1. Inspect the roof. Roofs should be checked for any loose, warped, or missing shingles. Also, home owners should check the chimney flashing and skylight seals are intact.
2. Clean and repair gutters. Home owners should clear winter storm debris from gutters and downspouts. Also, they should doublecheck that they are still securely attached to the house. Blocked or loose gutters can allow water to seep into your home and damage the trim, according to NAHB.
3. Check for any leaks. The most common culprits for “hidden” leaks: Attics, crawl spaces, and washing machine hoses. Also, look under sinks for damage from frozen pipes, and check your water heater for signs of corrosion.
4. Clear exterior drains. Remove any leaves from underground or exterior drains to prevent any backups from rain and storms.
5. Inspect siding. Inspect siding for pieces that may have come loose during winter storms.
6. Check window and door seals. Examine the exterior caulking on door and window seals to ensure it remains watertight.
7. Patch cracks. Patch cracks in concrete driveways, sidewalks, and steps to keep water out and prevent further expansion.
8. Paint the exterior. This is a good time to paint or touch up the paint on the exterior to help protect it from the weather.
9. Inspect the HVAC. Hire a qualified technician to service the home’s HVAC system to make sure it is running properly. Also, this is a good time for home owners to replace their HVAC filters.
10. Check the home’s grading. Ensure the grading of the yard slopes away from the home’s foundation to keep excess moisture at bay.
It was a pleasure working with both Mark & Julie. They are a great Team!Dee Hadley
Robert Jones Realty Inc. is superior! Mark Jones is an expert in Real Estate. We were very impressed with his knowledge base...and we tested it with our many questions. Mark helped us through selling our home, looking for a home to buy, temporarily renting a home and finally building a home. He was committed to helping us find what was best for our family. We were fortunate to have a Realtor we could trust and we highly recommend Robert Jones Realty, Inc.Erik & Amanda Moore-Kriwox
Julie puts the "Real" in "Realtor!" Thank you for the awesome expertise, painless experience and constant attention! David Leavitt
I have sold homes in Idaho & 5 other states. Mark & Julie were way above the rest in keeping me up to date & informed!!Since I live I Salt Lake, Mark went beyond helping with inspections, etc. Thanks David Webster
There was a lot to do to get the property ready for sale, and Mark took the helm and got them done. I definitely will use him and his team again if i need to sell another property. I recommend him to anyone.Dennis Veeder