Homes can take a bad hit during the winter, particularly after this year’s harsh winter. Seasonal damage to a home isn’t always easily visible, but if it’s not repaired, spring and summer storms can add to the problems, says Paul Sullivan, National Association of Home Builder’s Remodelers chair.
NAHB provides home owners with the following 10 tips for preparing a home for the warmer months ahead:
1. Inspect the roof. Roofs should be checked for any loose, warped, or missing shingles. Also, home owners should check the chimney flashing and skylight seals are intact.
2. Clean and repair gutters. Home owners should clear winter storm debris from gutters and downspouts. Also, they should doublecheck that they are still securely attached to the house. Blocked or loose gutters can allow water to seep into your home and damage the trim, according to NAHB.
3. Check for any leaks. The most common culprits for “hidden” leaks: Attics, crawl spaces, and washing machine hoses. Also, look under sinks for damage from frozen pipes, and check your water heater for signs of corrosion.
4. Clear exterior drains. Remove any leaves from underground or exterior drains to prevent any backups from rain and storms.
5. Inspect siding. Inspect siding for pieces that may have come loose during winter storms.
6. Check window and door seals. Examine the exterior caulking on door and window seals to ensure it remains watertight.
7. Patch cracks. Patch cracks in concrete driveways, sidewalks, and steps to keep water out and prevent further expansion.
8. Paint the exterior. This is a good time to paint or touch up the paint on the exterior to help protect it from the weather.
9. Inspect the HVAC. Hire a qualified technician to service the home’s HVAC system to make sure it is running properly. Also, this is a good time for home owners to replace their HVAC filters.
10. Check the home’s grading. Ensure the grading of the yard slopes away from the home’s foundation to keep excess moisture at bay.
Mark has been my Realtor for 20 years. He provides excellent, knowledgeable, professional service.
Mark and Julie sold my rental property quickly and for more than I thought the property would sell for.
They are a great team! Joan Hurlock
Mark Knows his stuff!Michael
I like it that you don't "Hover" over prospective buyers. You are available but not clingy and I like that! Thanks so much for the Jakers Dinner Experience We are looking forward to it!
Harry & Flora Bokma
Mark and Julie are extremely Professional and Personable!James Osterkamp
Mark, Julie, Bob & Arlene,
We appreciate the great job of selling our home. This is the second property that Mark & Julie have sold for us. They are excellent to work with. Very thorough & professional, not to mention a wonderful family. We highly recommend Robert Jones Realty to anyone wanting an excellent & friendly real estate experience.Jo & Janet Freitas
Thank you so much for everything!Melanie Oakey
Julie is so sweet and amazing, she showed us so many houses until we found the one. Thank you Julie so much for everything you were so patient in our decision making. See you at the house warming party!Liz & Alex
I'am a broker in California & got licensed in Idaho , Julie did a great job and she is very ambitious!Susan Jensen
You are the hardest working people! We felt that our best interests were always a priority. It was a very smooth process. Pat & Lisa Donnelley
You Guys went way above my expectations!!! I can't thank you enough. Rob Bowman
Mark was outstanding. This can be a stressful process, but I could trust Mark from start to finish. He went above and beyond to ensure we sold our home. I'm so thankful for his time and expertise and highly recommend him to family, friends and neighbors. Rita Ruhter
Mark & Julies knowledge and large set of skills allowed us to sell our home quickly. Mark helped us quickly negotiate through the buyers concerns and reach a mutually beneficial sale. Terry & Tina Downs
Thank you very much! I appreciate all your help and advice with this sale. You went "Above and Beyond" when we had a few issues with repairs or problems with getting the buyer into the house. You are Awesome! I will definitely give you referrals!Annette Giles
Julie you were great with a good sense of Humor. Veronique Savary
Mark & Julie sold my mothers home after her passing. Thank you for making the process so easy & quick. I live out of state and everything was handled very respectfully and just as you promised. Beth Morgan