Homes can take a bad hit during the winter, particularly after this year’s harsh winter. Seasonal damage to a home isn’t always easily visible, but if it’s not repaired, spring and summer storms can add to the problems, says Paul Sullivan, National Association of Home Builder’s Remodelers chair.
NAHB provides home owners with the following 10 tips for preparing a home for the warmer months ahead:
1. Inspect the roof. Roofs should be checked for any loose, warped, or missing shingles. Also, home owners should check the chimney flashing and skylight seals are intact.
2. Clean and repair gutters. Home owners should clear winter storm debris from gutters and downspouts. Also, they should doublecheck that they are still securely attached to the house. Blocked or loose gutters can allow water to seep into your home and damage the trim, according to NAHB.
3. Check for any leaks. The most common culprits for “hidden” leaks: Attics, crawl spaces, and washing machine hoses. Also, look under sinks for damage from frozen pipes, and check your water heater for signs of corrosion.
4. Clear exterior drains. Remove any leaves from underground or exterior drains to prevent any backups from rain and storms.
5. Inspect siding. Inspect siding for pieces that may have come loose during winter storms.
6. Check window and door seals. Examine the exterior caulking on door and window seals to ensure it remains watertight.
7. Patch cracks. Patch cracks in concrete driveways, sidewalks, and steps to keep water out and prevent further expansion.
8. Paint the exterior. This is a good time to paint or touch up the paint on the exterior to help protect it from the weather.
9. Inspect the HVAC. Hire a qualified technician to service the home’s HVAC system to make sure it is running properly. Also, this is a good time for home owners to replace their HVAC filters.
10. Check the home’s grading. Ensure the grading of the yard slopes away from the home’s foundation to keep excess moisture at bay.
Mark & Julies knowledge and large set of skills allowed us to sell our home quickly. Mark helped us quickly negotiate through the buyers concerns and reach a mutually beneficial sale. Terry & Tina Downs
Thank you very much! I appreciate all your help and advice with this sale. You went "Above and Beyond" when we had a few issues with repairs or problems with getting the buyer into the house. You are Awesome! I will definitely give you referrals!Annette Giles
Julie you were great with a good sense of Humor. Veronique Savary
Mark & Julie sold my mothers home after her passing. Thank you for making the process so easy & quick. I live out of state and everything was handled very respectfully and just as you promised. Beth Morgan
Mark was super! He communicates well, which we like. He is very knowledgeable. Bravo!Ron & Jamie Griff
Julie, It was a pleasure working with you. Thanks again for everything!Sheila Garrett
Thank you both so much for everything you did to make our experience positive!! We appreciated the way you kept in communication every step of the way!!Tracy Ridgeway & Kami Cornie
Mark & Julie were a pleasure to work with in every aspect of a decision in getting our properties evaluated, listed and Sold. Very knowledgeable of the real-estate business and supportive in helping us to meet our end goals. I would highly recommend Mark and Julie Jones and Robert Jones Realty, Inc.Stephen & Lana Olsen
Thank you to Mark and his staff! They did a great job of selling our Lot and we are very happy with the service they provided! Mark was very informative and a true professional!!Fernando & Carrie